UNinsured or UNDERinsured Coverage

One of the most overlooked portions of automobile insurance coverage, and most important in California is Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance, also referred to as UM and UIM
coverage. UM and UIM coverage are designed to cover your injuries, your passengers’ injuries, and damage to your vehicle in the event you the at-fault driver does not have insurance, or if they do not have enough insurance.

Although every driver in the State of California is required to have a minimum auto insurance policy, there are many drivers on the roads who do not carry insurance. In 2019, California approximately 16.6% of bodily injury claims involved uninsured motorists according to the That means that the victim in 16.6% of all accidents involving an injury had no insurance available, unless they had UM and UIM coverage. Given there are approximately 27 million drivers in California, that averages to almost 4.5 million drivers on the road, who do not have any insurance.

Most other drivers elect to have the minimum liability coverage permitted in California, usually
because this policy has the lowest monthly premium, which is $15,000.00 per person and up to
$30,000.00 per occurrence. Under this insurance policy, the most you can recover from the at fault driver would be $15,000.00, regardless of the extent of your injuries. Unless the at fault driver has additional insurance or assets, you could be left without a full recovery, necessitating you to pay expensive medical bills and other financial obligations out of pocket as a result of the
other driver’s negligence.

This is where your insurance coverage can end up being your guardian angel. If you have elected for UM and UIM coverage, you would have the ability to seek full recovery of your damages from your own insurance for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, physical and
emotional pain and suffering, and overall loss of quality of life.

UM and UIM coverage can also be used in bicycle accidents, vehicle versus pedestrians, and even hit-and-run accidents, so if the at-fault party flees the accident scene, you can submit a claim directly to your insurance company seeking recovery.

Your entitled to the same coverage to protect you if you are at fault for a UM and UIM policy. Meaning, if you have liability coverage of $100,000.00, you are entitled to get $100,000.00 UM and UIM coverage.

We understand that being in a car accident can by scary, stressful, and frustrating. Moreso if the
at fault driver is uninsured or does not have enough insurance to cover your losses. If you were
involved in an automobile accident, or any type of accident we at Grismer Law are here to help.
Your consultation is free, and you will never be charged attorney fees unless you receive compensation.

If you need legal help with UNinsured or UNDERinsured Coverage we're here to help.